Friday, October 01, 2010

Waiting for Zanzibar...

Me and Franciska playing around with PhotoBooth!

Me wearing my new skirt!

Since midterms ended (and my birthday) on Wednesday I have basically been waiting for Saturday morning when we leave for our week long fall break to Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar.

Yesterday I slept, went to the craft market to get a konga made into a skirt, and went to the big supermarket and out to lunch with a friend. There are so many dressmakers in Arusha who can make pretty much anything out of a piece of fabric. All you need to do is show them a picture or bring a piece of clothing that you want your new clothes to look like, or even draw a little sketch and they will make it!

Today I did all of my laundry (a huge bag) which took all morning because I have to do my laundry by hand. After hanging my clothes to dry on the clothesline I went to pick up my skirt at the dressmaker and then ran over to the Arcadia Center to tutor Franciska in English. We had a lot of fun together. I helped her set up an email account and taught her different verb tenses. She remembered everything that we went over last time we met so I know she's a really hard worker and really wants to be perfect at English.

The bus leaves at 5am tomorrow morning so we can drive to Dar then take a ferry to Zanzibar on Sunday. Have to pack and go to sleep early tonight! I'll be out of touch by computer until next Sunday but I'll make sure to post some pictures of Zanzibar and tell some stories when I get back to Arusha. Have a nice week!

No comments:

Post a Comment