Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What I have learned from living in Africa...

1. How to fit a lot of people into not a lot of space, i.e. a backseat of a car or even a chair!

2. Time is merely a suggestion. Sometimes being on time is important, but most of the time its an estimate. I've learned, at least a little bit, how to take my time.

3. How to properly ignore the creepy men who approach muzungu women like myself on the street. They usually try to offer you a good deal on safari or visit to a Massai village, but most of the time they are con-men.

4. Not to be afraid of bargaining, even if the price only dropped by a couple of cents.

5. Electricity isn't necessary all the time. It eventually comes back on!

6. How to laugh at a frustrating situation such as the bus breaking down!

7. How impressive it is that its normal to speak 3 or more languages!

8. You can charm anyone by whipping out a Swahili phrase. (Habari yako? Nzuri sana!)

9. How to wash my clothes by hand!!! (mom and dad, you should be proud)

10. What it feels like to be completely and utterly uncomfortable (have I mentioned that I thrive when I'm in this state)


2 comments:

  1. "You always make us feel proud." Arielle's Mon and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, nice! and a flashback to my time in ghana, where I can say pretty much the same (though not 9, well done! and not so much witnessing 7)... noting that they're instead called tro tros in ghana, 3 would be obroni rather than muzungu (guessing you mean foreign or white?), and 8 would be Twi instead of Swahili... isn't it fun to surprise people like that? haha... and 10 is my absolute favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete