Thursday, September 16, 2010

Tanzanian Family Part 2

Today started off pretty boring-- Gender Class from 9-11am, food shopping after class... pretty normal stuff. I sent some emails and started studying for my Kiswahili exam on Tuesday. I also texted Fransiska, the girl from my homestay last weekend, to set up a time that we could meet to start her english lessons (we decided on tomorrow afternoon).

After some alone time in my apartment, I decided to go for a walk, explore a little. With my cell phone securely tucked into my bra and 2500 Tsh in my pocket I was on my way to get lost in the central market for the afternoon when I ran into the 9 year old daughter from the family I stayed with last weekend, Gifti. She had just gotten out of school for the day and saw me and ran up to me and gave me a big hug!

I asked her to take me to a fun place, so she just took my hand and lead me to her house to spend time with her mother and older sister! Words can not describe how excited the family was to see me! We talked for a little while and Fransiska taught me a little Swahili. They put on some Massai gospel music and the mother taught me how to do the traditional dance move for the women, which involves moving your shoulders back and forth and bending our knees ever so slightly. The hospitality that this family showed me this afternoon was so amazing... they were truly happy to have me in their house and they said several times how I should feel like this is my Tanzanian family. At 6pm I had to leave because I had to get back to the apartment before dark (and it took about 45 minutes to walk back).

I am meeting Fransiska (the 21 year old daughter) tomorrow afternoon to tutor her in English. My class is meeting with the president of the ICTR tomorrow morning so I will have a full day of activities!

No comments:

Post a Comment